June 1, 2011

The Broken Road

Upon arriving home from a “Waiting Families” adoption support group, the blinking light on the answering machine seemed like just another new message. We hurried to get changed and out the door for dinner with some friends, and I pushed play on the run. And then I stopped dead in my tracks.

“Hi, this is Kate from Buckner Adoption and Maternity Services. We have an expectant mom who read your profile and is interested in talking with you and one other couple.”

It was The Call.

The next day, Sunday, we spoke on the phone with Cynthia, a young mom-to-be considering making an adoption plan for her unborn son. We had a great conversation and I fell a little bit in love with this young college student. We hung up the phone feeling giddy and yet strangely calm. Would we be chosen? Was this our baby?

The next night on the way home from Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) the Rascal Flatts song “Bless the Broken Road” came on the radio. Can you hear it? “Every long lost dream led me to where you are…” It was one of those God moments that a smile and a tear instantly sprang to my face and eyes as I wondered, “Has the broken road led us to our baby, finally?”

Just as suddenly as the tears struck, a still, small voice spoke to my heart. “No child, the broken road led you straight to Me.”

Say, what?

I took an extra trip around the block waiting for the song to end. I felt a peace in my heart that surpassed all understanding, just like God’s word says His peace will do (Philippians 4:7). I was ready to hear the big news from my husband. When I saw his face, I knew that Cynthia had chosen the other family.

Although I did not instantly shrug and say, “Oh well, better luck next time,” my disappointment miraculously did not last long. I knew that Cynthia’s baby was not meant to be ours – that God had another baby slated to join our family.

God does bless the broken road. Sometimes he blesses it with a baby by adoption, as He did for us less than a month after our conversation with Cynthia. Sometimes he blesses it by a surprise pregnancy or an assisted reproductive technology (ART) procedure. And sometimes His most treasured blessing is to lead you straight into His loving arms.

Will you turn to Him? God promises not to give us a life without troubles, but to deliver us out of them. “Many are the affliction of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all” (Psalm 34:19). Could your broken road be for the purpose of drawing you back or closer to Jehovah-Jireh, the Lord who provides?
Amy is a lover of life, music, and yarn. She is passionate about open adoption. Amy tries not to take life too seriously - she once took a picture of herself wearing a tiara in the fertility doc's office - but she is serious about pointing others to the source of all comfort, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Author Website: Blessed by Adoption & Birth