July 11, 2011

My Wants, His Answers

The woman at the well sought happiness in the arms of men.
Jesus provides peace that could be found in none other than Himself.

I sought joy in the new life of a baby.
Jesus offers New Life in Himself.

I wanted to know the feeling of carrying another soul inside my body.
He provides the Holy Spirit to indwell me.

I longed to nurse a child.
Paul wrote, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."
1 Peter 2:2-3 (NIV)

I dreamed of watching my baby grow and mature.
But am I ever-growing in Christ?
"Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the
teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant
use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." Hebrews 5:13-14
(NIV)

I bemoaned the "bread of adversity" I felt unfairly called to taste.
The Lord answers with the cross: "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it,
and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in
remembrance of me." Luke 22:19 (NIV)

I pleaded for a child to enrich my days on earth.
He commands, "But store up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and
rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where
your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:20-21 (NIV)

- Adapted from Hannah's Hope: Seeking God's Heart in the Midst of Infertility, Miscarriage & Adoption Loss (NavPress)

© 2005, Jennifer Saake, reprinted with permission of the author.
Jennifer Saake is the author of Hannah's Hope: Seeking God's Heart in the Midst of Infertility, Miscarriage & Adoption Loss and a co-founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries. She loves writing and balks at word count limitations. A wanna-be gardener, Jenni eagerly awaits each spring, optimistically forgetting her lost battle to weeds of the previous summer. Her quest is to find the perfect natural, sugar-free dark chocolate.

Author Website: Hannah's Hope: Seeking God's Heart in Infertility & Loss