September 2, 2011

A Kind Of Comfort



It was a long day. I had driven all over town, getting errands done. It was hot and people were everywhere, adding to my frustration. All I really wanted was to go home, put the groceries away, and relax. In fact I NEEDED to do just that!

Among the chaos of the day were reminders forcing their way into my mind and heart, making the day even harder. When most people see an infant, toddler ,or pregnant woman, they smile, ask to see the baby, or talk to the woman asking, “When are you due?” I am the opposite of “normal.” When I encounter these things, I run the opposite direction. In my world, they are hurtful reminders of all I’ve suffered through. And that day it was all too much.

I hurried out of the store and loaded my groceries into my vehicle, thankful I could head home at last. As I put the vehicle into reverse, I looked up at my rearview mirror.

A woman stood staring at the back of my vehicle. Again my frustration started to build. What was she doing? Didn’t she realize I was needed to get home?

Then I noticed what she was looking at. My decal. Infant footprints complete with a halo and wings and surrounded by the words “Proud parents of angels.” I watched as the woman brought her hand up and gently brushed away a tear. Then she turned and started to walk away. As she passed my window our eyes met. In those few short seconds, our hearts connected. We were strangers, yet we were linked together through the pain of losing a child. We had walked the same path. The woman raised her mouth in a sad smile and continued on her way.

As I headed home, my heart was a bit lighter. I may be a grieving mother, but I realized that I am not alone on this journey. God created a community of grieving mothers to lean on and encourage each other. To draw strength and comfort from. Even the ones who may not speak to each other are connected by the part of us already in heaven.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
~ 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NIV)



I spend my time managing my home, helping run a cattle business, doing crafts, cooking and playing on Hannah's forums! After losing 3 children, my heart has been lead to offer comfort to other women who have lost a child.