May 8, 2011

A Mother's Day Letter

Dear Friend,

As I write this letter to you for Mother’s Day, I wonder where you are and what state your heart is in.

Maybe you are wondering how to get through church without having to run crying from the service.

Perhaps you decided that you needed to skip church today to maintain your grip on sanity.

You might be in a good place, able to concentrate on the blessings God has granted you.

Or perhaps you are reeling from loss, barely holding on to hope.

You may be spending this day with family, unsure how you will handle your sorrow in front of everyone.


Wherever you are in your infertility journey, I want you to know that I am praying for you today. You are not alone. God knows you, sees you, hears you.

Lord, you know the hopes of the helpless, surely you will listen to their cries and comfort them. ~ Psalm 10:17

During our second year of infertility I discovered the best way for me to handle Mother's Day. I was feeling raw and fragile as the day approached and wondered how I could do all the normal things that go with that day. It was when I received my church worship schedule that I made the decision to skip church and stay home the entire day.

You see, I was scheduled to sing that Sunday and I didn’t know how I could possibly stand in front of the whole church and sing without breaking down in tears. The emotion was too fierce, too devastating to be on display. It felt like I was trying to hold together the pieces of a broken vessel and the slightest pressure would cause it (me) to shatter.

My husband and I ended up having a nice day at home, just the two of us. It worked out so well that we have skipped every year since. I make a nice breakfast and lunch for the two of us and we simply spend time together, watching movies or planting flowers.

This year we will be going to church and spending the day with my parents. I haven't spent Mother's Day with my own mom in the longest time. My goal is to focus on my mom and have a good day with family.

I also make sure to set aside time to encourage, love, and pray for my fellow sisters struggling with infertility.

So, how can I pray for you today?
What are you currently struggling with?
What are your fears, your longings?

All my longings lie open before you, O Lord, My sighing is not hidden from you. ~ Psalm 38:9
Rachel and her husband live in Maryland, home of the world's finest crab cakes. Her heart for women facing the struggle of infertility has led to an active, encouraging role on Hannah's Prayer Community Forums. When she isn't laughing with her husband, Rachel can be found cooking, blogging, and hanging with girlfriends.


Author website: Portrait Rachel